Interview With A Web Designer: Phil Cowcill

Photo shot with Blackberry Bold 9780


During my time at Canadore, my class was tasked with conducting an interview with a professional in the field that you hope to work in the future. My ideal position would be designing functional, eyecatching, and leading edge websites for clients, So this lead me to a man who has been self taught for years and is still on the forefront of the industry, making time to share his knowledge with designers and progamers all over Canada and the United States.  Phill Cowcill a.k.a @canadianpacman (twitter) Coordinator of Mobile Application Development program at Canadore College.

Interviewed by Dan Beauchamp

Dan- How did you become a Web Designer?
Phil- “I started actually at multi-media back in 1984, well before the web was public knowledge. I started mixing video and doing some computer programing and computer graphics and did a lot of work with that. In 1993 the internet started to make its presence known within the school.  In 1995 I was hired on as a coordinator and when I got into working with websites I realized that this was going to be a huge trend, so right away I picked up every tid bit I could find out. Back in 1994 I had started learning a lot about developing for websites and keep in mind at this time there is no Google and there are no search engines that we know of today, so finding information wasn’t as easy as today. So in 1994 I started teaching myself by opening up different web pages and looking at the source code to see what they did. I would then go in to note pad and start to create my own websites using those formats.”


Dan- What do you enjoy most about Web Design as a career?
Phil- “I find it’s a lot of fun in the way that web design is restrictive but if you can arm wrestle the code then you can make it do what you want it to do. It’s like it’s a computer game for me, the website wants be very blocky, very straight forward and very plain. My job is to figure out ways to make it interactive, engaging, and make it look nice, and have a nice clean layout and make sure it loads very fast.”

Dan- What is the most challenging part of a Web Designer Job?
Phil- “I think that the most challenging part is understanding the technical aspects of web design and also graphic design and user interface. You need to have all three to develop and create a rich experience and it is very difficult to get a good balance of all three.”

Dan- If there was a list of essential skills that a Web Designer should have, what would they be?
Phil- “One is to have a very good understanding of graphics and how to re-size properly. I find a lot of people when they make websites if they are a Graphic Designer they don’t pay attention to size, when you’re streaming things online size really does matter and the smaller the better. The other thing is you have to have a very good eye for understanding the flow the layout and you have to understand how people will access your content, the other thing is you need to understand the code you have to get into the code, even with Dreamweaver you still need to be able to understand the code enough that you can go in and make alterations within the code.”

Dan- Is there a particular area of graphic or web design that you prefer?
Phil- “There are all sorts of aspects I really like when you start build in the dynamic content so you tie it in to a database. For example I can create one web page and have thirty people come to the website and it’s different for all thirty people. To be able to create that dynamic content that’s a lot of fun because people look at that and say how did you do that? It’s actually not that difficult to do, it’s just a matter of understanding the technology and the background.”

Dan- Where do you tend to look for inspiration?
Phil- “Ah, excellent question. There are a couple of websites that I go to; one is coolhomepages.com, to take a look at what some of the best websites designs are. I also while surfing around if I notice a good website I make note of it. There are also other sites that provide very nice free style sheets, because a lot of the good sites are designed with well documented and well created style sheets, so I take a look at what they are doing. A lot of it is just surfing around and seeing what some of the best designers in the world are doing.”

Dan- Alright Phil, thank you for your time and insight.
Phil- “Not a problem at all.”

Or if Your interested in learning a thing or two check out his multimedia site.
http://www.pjrules.com/canadianpacman/